Friday, January 3, 2014

Forgive me, Billy Joel...

It's 1 am on a Saturday,
The usual one shuffles in.
It's the old gal hanging over me,
wondering who I am and where she has been.

She says, “Hey, can you tell me a memory.
I'm not really sure how it goes.
But, it's sad and it's sweet
and I knew it complete when I wore a younger girl's clothes."

Give me your life, I have Alzheimer's.
Give me your whole life for free.
I'm in the mood to be be mean to you,
And you can do nothing for me.

Now, my kids are asleep across from me,
And the angry one just doesn't care.
She yells and she cries and she wants it all.
Until I just disappear.
She says, “I'm hungry, I'm full and you're killing me.”
As the illness haunts her lined face.
And I'm sure this all will soon finish me,
If I don't get away from this place.

Give me your life, I am Alzheimer's.
Give me your whole life for free.
I'm in the mood to be mean to you,
And you can do nothing to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment