Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Missing pieces...

I misspoke.  I don't want to not do my blog.  Again, it is my sanity.  I just don't want to share it. So, one day after I said that I was quitting, I'm back.  Complaining and being negative.  But, it is all that  I have these days...

Mom went to day care again today.  The nurse called me while Mom was there.  She wanted me to be aware that Mom has lost 13 pounds in 6 months and they are concerned. Yep.  Me too. I just don't know what else to try.  I've tried the supplement drinks.  She won't drink the juice kinds.  And the milky type make her choke.  I feed her what seems like all day, every day. She wants her food right up until the time that she has it in her hands. I've tried adding extras to her food.  But, even the nurse said it is difficult to keep Mom focused while she is eating.

We stopped eating as a family several months ago.  Mom would constantly pick at the girls and generally make the dinner table a war zone.  The family dinners that I experienced as a child were always full of fighting and tension.  I promised myself that my kids would remember family time as a special time.  I will have to make more of an effort to sit and eat with Mom.  Eating with other people is supposed to help them focus on the food.  It's worth a try.  

I knew that older people tend to lose their sense of taste as the age.  What I didn't know is that their ability to taste sweet items is the last to leave them.  So, the nurse suggested letting Mom have more goodies while continuing to offer her nutritious meals and snacks.  She suggested items like puddings and yogurt.  She can still taste the sweet while getting some nutrition.

This is all so overwhelming to me.  I feel like I'm missing some pieces of a puzzle.  And, just as soon as I find one piece, two more go missing.  I continue to feel like a failure and as if everybody is completing the puzzle but me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment