Friday, September 26, 2014

It would break her heart...

Before Mom's disease prevented her from being left alone, she was well known in the neighborhood.  She walked around and talked to people.  There was a family that she used to stop each day as they walked to and from school.  There were several kids in the group but even the kids in the strollers would excitedly yell, "Hi, Andi!"  They loved Mom.  She loved them.

As we got home from her doctor appointment today, the kids were passing the house.  They yelled, "Hi, Andi!"  We haven't seen them in a long time.  The kids that were in the strollers are now 7 or 8 years old.  Their mom gave them permission to run over and visit Mom. They were so excited to see her.

Unfortunately, Mom was still agitated and angry and was rather nasty to the kids.  One of them sadly asked, "Don't you remember us, Andi?"  I tried to tell them how much happiness that they brought Mom each day and explain the disease and what it meant.  They didn't understand.  Heck, most days I don't understand it either.

As they walked away I heard one of them sadly say, "I can't believe Andi doesn't remember us." 

And Alzheimer's forced a bigger wedge into the crack in my heart. 


2 comments:

  1. This made me teary eyed. It is sad and I hate to say this..but it is as it is. I don't know but I feel like sending you a hug across the miles.

    Love and light,
    Michelle, ripplemaker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, thank you so much for leaving the name that I know you by. I appreciate you visiting me here. I will gladly take the hug, the love and the light. It's getting more and more difficult to deal with this and I appreciate the kindness. Nancy

      Delete