Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A helping hand...

It has been a rough few days.  Mom's situation with the medical issue got much worse... not her condition... but her refusal to get help.  She yelled at me all weekend that she needed to see a doctor. So, first thing Monday morning I got her into the car, got her to the doctor, and and was able to do a little bit of the paperwork before she began attempting her escape.  She started very quietly, just a few steps towards the door.  Soon, she began vehemently shaking her head and screaming that she was NOT going in there.  Short of physically forcing her (and, at this point I couldn't have done it anyway) we had to leave once again.

In the parking lot, I called one of my brothers hoping that he could come take over.  I sobbed that I couldn't do it anymore.  I was done.  He listened and said all the right things and then he told me his plan.  I took her home and let her yell at me for the rest of the day about how badly she needed to see a doctor. Oh, the irony.

Then first thing this morning (Tuesday) I loaded Mom up, took her to breakfast and then drove to the doctor's office.  As I approached the office, I saw my brother standing there at the entrance with a wheelchair.  He opened the door and said, "Hello, Mrs. Bullock.  We're all ready for you."   He took her in and I drove away.  30 minutes later he texted me and said they were done and that he was filling her prescriptions. 

Tonight I feel like the weight of the world has been taken off of my shoulders.  It is amazing how a helping hand at the right time can make it all better. 

1 comment:

  1. It is great to hear that you had someone there for you to help with her. The little moments like this really do make a difference.

    ReplyDelete