Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Treasure in a ziploc...

Just a quick funny...

This morning as I was walking Mom to the Day Care van, I noticed that her purse was a little heavy.  I soon became sorry that I hadn't donned a pair of gloves as I reached in through a dozen or so wadded up tissues, past the beat up wallet that holds childhood pictures of my brothers, and down to where she keeps her abandoned lids, dried bread crusts, paper clips and marbles.  And there it was, the weight.  Apparently, Mom has decided to collect the tableware from her lunches at the day care. I pulled out a knife, fork and spoon. 

As I sheepishly asked the driver to please return my mother's ill-gotten bounty, he started laughing.  I mean gut laughing.  He got Mom buckled in, reached into the front seat and held up a ziploc baggy filled with silverware.  He laughed some more, and told me that at least one family each day comes to the van with at least part of a place setting.  He was impressed that Mom had gotten the entire set. 

Fast forward to this afternoon when Mom arrived home...

Each time I meet Mom at the van and try to coax her off, I always check to see whether she has her purse.  We all know how crucial that purse is to the peace of this household.  Anyway, today, she was sent home with a "dummy" purse.  While, Jose helped Mom down, I checked the contents of the decoy purse to make sure that there weren't any more pilfered utensils.  I pulled out a sock, a ratty, faded blue wash cloth, a flyer for last year's haunted house and a toothbrush.  The treasures in that purse made me feel much better about her choice to steal silverware. And whether a little old lady here in town was driving her family crazy looking for an old, blue rag. . 

No comments:

Post a Comment