Monday, March 3, 2014

A question of control...

I love that even though Mom has a disease that hasn't taken control of her life, she still finds ways to be the one calling the shots.

I just gave Mom a bowl of food for dinner. It was a decent sized bowl of steak, gravy, mashed potatoes and veggies.  She ate about half and gave the rest back to me saying that it was too much.  Knowing Mom, I set it to one side and went on eating my dinner.

It took about 5 minutes before she asked why she didn't get to eat.  After all, she hasn't eaten in 3 days.  She then became very nasty that I was eating in front of her and that I always steal her food.  I handed her the bowl of food that she had just rejected.  Her response?  "That's it?  That's all I get after three days of you eating all of my food?  I'm not eating this!"

We moved on to, "Are you warm enough?  I'm cold.  I'll bet you're warm, aren't you?  It's always all about you." 

We soon returned to the food complaints. "I'm hungry and I'm not eating this crap."  I used my best mother  voice and told her that she'd better eat it all because she wasn't getting anything else.  She ate the food... all but one bite.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Nan, can you believe how "much" your life is all about you?? We're just such selfish people. Ann salted her hand last night and when I asked her why she was doing that, just just shrugged her shoulders at me and gave me a "why the hell not?" look, like it was the most normal thing to do in the world...she then proceeded to lick her hand. Isn't life grand?! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! Early on I would point out to her exactly how selfish I am... but then I realized how selfish that answer was...lol. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this at this point in your life. You need time to grieve. I cannot imagine going through this and what you have on your plate, as well. I love you, Shelly.

    ReplyDelete