Thursday, October 16, 2014

What a way to start the day...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry this morning.  Mom is extremely delusional.

She just banged on the bathroom door and got my daughter out of the shower.  When Katie answered the door, Mom said, "Mr. Marley, I presume?"

She was trying to zip up her jacket and couldn't do it, mainly because she was starting at the top.  I usually let her try to figure it out herself until she starts to get frustrated.  So, I was still letting her do it when she figured it out.  She looked up at me and said, "Wow!  You figured it out.  You're a smartist!"

She rapidly accelerated into the delusions. She started screaming for me to help find "him".  I mean screaming!  She looked at me and said, "Find my f***ing father!" 


She moved on to banging on all of the doors looking for him.  She opened the unlocked (oops on me) closet door, started grabbing jackets and saying, "Is that you?  Why are you hiding from me?"

She turned and screamed at me to help find her father.  She then came over and grabbed my wrist, twisted it and said, "Maybe you don't understand what please means when I say it?"

When she's like this, there's not much to do but let her rant and just make sure she stays safe. There is no reasoning.  No using logic.  Distractions are a waste of time.  Yes, I tried.  She is currently trying to pick the lock on my oldest daughter's door.   She's using an empty toilet paper roll, so I don't think I'll have to defend the premises anytime soon. 

So, I'm sitting here hoping that she winds down before the day care van arrives.  I can't, in good conscience, let the driver deal with her when she's like this.  I've given the maximum dosage on her meds.  I just hope they kick in soon. 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Alxheimers can make people delusional also. This is a tough time. I know this is probably a silly question but I have this urge to ask you, how can I help somehow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I apologize. I thought I answered. I really, really appreciate your question and it isn't silly at all. To be honest, the best way to help is just exactly what you already did... you offered support and you read my words. And, for that, I am very grateful.

      Delete