Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What do you choose?

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
- Martha Washington

Is happiness a choice?  Is it something that can be just because we choose it to be?  I ask this because I am trying to understand what made previous generations in my family so very UNhappy.  As I look back on my memories of my grandmother I remember an unhappy, solemn woman.  I recall asking an aunt why Gran was always so sad.  She said that a lot of sad things happened that she never recovered from.  And as a child that answer was sufficient.  But, as an adult, who like most people, has had many sad things happen, that answer is no longer enough.  Yes, sad things happen.  But, good, wondrous and joyous things happen too. IF you allow them and IF you can look for the happiness.  As I look at my children I choose to find that joy.  I want them to remember the laughter and the fun.  I choose for them to remember their mother hula-hooping when she doesn't know how... Dancing when she has no rhythm... And singing when she can't carry a tune.  Because just as Martha Washington said "...misery depends upon our dispositions and not upon our circumstances." I choose to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment