Thursday, March 8, 2018

The Octopus...

My experience as a caregiver ended almost 3 years ago, although it feels like yesterday. Yesterday, because I am still fighting my way out of the destruction. Alzheimer's disease does not care or give favor to anyone. If your family comes in contact with the disease, you become part of the destruction. I have come to think of it as an evil octopus, whom I call Al. Al tries to suck the life out of you. If you are quick enough to start your escape and begin to heal, there is another tentacle attaching itself to you.

There are eight arms on my metaphoric creature:  Faith, Finance, Self worth, Guilt, Anger, Relationships, Health, and Exhaustion. Each one is powerful by itself, but are more effective when they attack the victim in unison, or in pairs. A few are strike and go types of fighters. My faith was attacked, but is strong. My wounds caused by my guilt have mostly healed. Anger has left some healthy scar tissue of acceptance. I've accepted that the relationship that I lost will remain that way.

That leaves a battle with the remaining four- finance, health, self worth and exhaustion. It is so difficult to move ahead when I can't financially provide for my family, when my daughter is supporting us because I can't find a job. That, in turn, leads to a feeling of uselessness. My health is suffering. And here comes exhaustion. That damned Al just leaked all over me with his hidden power and it feels so dark.

I am just so tired of it all. I'm tired of pretending its all okay.

Am I being dramatic? Probably. But, I'm also being realistic. I don't want pity. This is just a continuation of the journey and I need to continue until the story is complete.

Al sucks.


No comments:

Post a Comment