Saturday, September 16, 2017

X marks the spot...


Yesterday, I had to deposit a check that was made out to Mom.  Legally, I can sign it but I try to include her in the simple aspects of managing her life.  So, I turned to her with a pen and the check and asked her to endorse the back.  I made an X at the appropriate spot and asked her to sign it.  She stared and then printed an F... which is not part of her name.  I explained that she needed to sign her name "Andrea" at the X.  She nodded her head that she understood, then printed in very shaky capital letters A D D R E S S.  I told her that it looked good and then signed for her.

It surprised me.  She was able to do that less than a month ago.

She always played games with the letters and numbers on license plates. She would make words with the letters and poker hands with the numbers.  She still tries... but the logic isn't there anymore.

This disease has moved so slowly for Mom that we seem to notice each thing as it is stolen from her.  I can't help but wish that her journey could go faster. But that would be kindness. That isn't a word normally associated with Alzheimer's.


11/15/11

No comments:

Post a Comment