Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Where am I...

I need help.  I need to find me again.  I've lost the person that I was.  The smart alecky, sarcastic, silly person who could almost always find a smile is gone.  I have become a hermit.  Yes, partly by circumstance, but mostly because I avoid people.  I don't want to talk to anyone or let them see who I have become.  I would rather stay home than see the people I care about.  It is becoming almost painful to socialize. 

I dread the question, "How is your Mom?"  I know it is a polite question full of genuine interest.  But, I have no answer.  She's dying.  She's miserable.  So, do I tell the truth or do I find a fake smile and answer, "The same."? 

But, even more, I dread the question, "How are you?"  Because I'm afraid I will melt into a puddle of tears if I have to answer.  I'm afraid that the truth will push people away even farther than these circumstances require.  I dread the pity that I will see.  Luckily, I am rarely asked about me.  Maybe people sense my reluctance to answer or are afraid of my answer. 

Maybe I am invisible. 

2 comments:

  1. You aren't invisible to me at all. You are my friend and I love you and I do care about how YOU are doing, all of you. But I also completely, COMPLETELY understand this: But, even more, I dread the question, "How are you?" Because I'm afraid I will melt into a puddle of tears if I have to answer. I'm afraid that the truth will push people away even farther than these circumstances require. I dread the pity that I will see." It's easier for me to put on the fake smile with others than for me to be around people that I know genuinely care and want to know how I am, as I fear the dam will burst and off they will go if they see the real me in these real circumstances that are my life right now.

    Again, I love you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is it exactly... but more. I'm having a hard time putting on the fake smile even with strangers. The well seems to have run dry.

      I love you, too, Sweet Friend. <3

      Delete