Sunday, July 20, 2014

A little positivity...

Most of the time when I give Mom something to eat, she has a complaint... it's too big, it's too hot, it's too cold, I didn't want that, etc.  We usually only give her part of something because large portions overwhelm Alzheimer's patients.  And Mom is easy to overwhelm.

She likes peanut butter and honey sandwiches. She gets them a half at a time because we all know how overwhelming an entire peanut butter sandwich can be.  It seems to be her go-to snack.  It's easy to eat.  There's some protein.  It's sweet so she can taste it.  And she doesn't gripe... much.



I just gave her a half and heard, "What am I supposed to do with this?"  "Why would I eat paper?"  "Do you want this?"  "I don't want this."  "This is horrible!"  And repetitions of all of these as she held it and refused to eat it despite just complaining that she hadn't eaten in 3 days.

So, when she finally finished it and I gave her the second half, I never expected to hear, "Wow!  I've always wanted one of these and never was allowed to have one!  Thank you, so much."  "Oh! This is so good!  Why haven't I ever had one of these?  I want this again!"

I find it sad that those 3 short minutes of positivity is noteworthy enough to write about.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment