Friday, May 24, 2013

Backwards milestones...


You all know that I compare the journey of this disease to the progress that a young child makes each and every day.  But, because of the cruelty of Alzheimer's, we take note of the regression instead.  Or what I call backwards milestones. 

 I asked Mom to please put her shoes on.  And this is what she did:
=


This is one of those things that makes me want to laugh at the absurdity of the picture and cry at the cruelty of the disease.   I did both.

Later, we took Mom out for her favorite McDonald's cheeseburger.  As my daughter was starting to get out to help her grandmother from the backseat, Mom whined in her 3 year old sing song voice, "Mom? Why does SHE get to get out and I don't?"  I wanted to respond with, "Honey, because she knows that her wallet is not a shoe."

No comments:

Post a Comment